For the clean install I need a bootable media of Windows10 which I can make by the media creation tool. I also need a product key of Windows10. But MS says ‘If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won’t have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.’ For which I had to an upgrade install to Windows10. It took some doing.
- First, backup all on the PC to a USB drive.
- Save Device Manager things as images to the USB drive. It might be helpful when you look for drivers for Windows10.
- Download the media creation tool. The Link page is very useful.
- Run the Tool (You need to be an Administrator on the PC to run it).
- Select Upgrade this PC now.
- Follow the instructions to finish the upgrade.
Then, let’s create installation media.
- Run the Tool again(You need to be an Administrator on the PC to run it).
- Select Create installation media for another PC. Use this table to choose the edition of Windows 10 that you want to create media for.
Host operating system edition Windows 10 edition Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Home Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro Windows 8/8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing
Windows 10 Home Single Language Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing
Windows 10 Home China
- Create installation media.
Now, I have a boot-able installation media. I install it by normal steps. As above I don’t need the product key. But, if I have the product key of this Windows10, can I make free use of it? Don’t you think so? Or does MS make any traps about this for us?
After getting Windows10 on the laptop, some modules I installed for some applications.
- For Nero 12,
- DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
- MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (Microsoft XML Core Services)
- Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 Could Allow Remote Code Execution (925672)
- MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (Microsoft XML Core Services)
Actually, I still have a Yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. I haven’t found them out about what, yet. Something about WiMAX? Anyway they are no problem for me.
Mission complete!! This post is the first one from Windows10. Clap, Clap!
After installing Windows10, I cannot use HDMI Audio though I see HDMI Video. The vender has not supported the device since Windows8. If someone has a good news, please tell me m(_”_)m.
I cannot use Windows Photo Viewer, either. So I added the following key to the registry.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Capabilities\FileAssociations]