After all, I’ve updated to Windows8.1 Pro(x86) on the NJ2100.

Update information      Edit    Edit2(Jun.23)    Edit3(Jul.7)    Edit4(Jul.24)

   In my previous post, I wrote “Tried Windows8.1 Pro on the laptop PC (NJ2100), and failed”. But I’ve updated to Windows8.1 Pro(x86) on the NJ2100 after all.

   Before starting update from Store, I deleted the SiS Mirage 3 Graphics driver based on R529_Logo.zip. If not deleting, I would have the error “0xC1900101 – 0×30018”. As I deleted the driver, I was able to finish the update. But I would have the trouble again if I install the driver after updating. So, I cannot use the monitor resolution 1440×900 now. I use the the MS Basic Display Adapter driver and take the monitor resolution 1280×768. See the Edit4.

   After updating, I also found the Realtek High Definition Audio was disabled. So, I visited the Realtek official site, downloaded a 32bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_R275.exe and installed it. The latest driver version is 6.0.1.7246. But I had terrible noise again. Therefore I replaced ver. 6.0.1.7246 by ver. 6.0.1.5506 which is an NJ2100’s genuine driver for VISTA by EPSON. See the Edit.

   Now, I can use Windows8.1 Pro(x86) on the NJ2100 without problems.

   By the way, I have frustration about the way of 8.1 distribution. MS says Windows 8.1 for Windows 8 is equal to service packs for other windows. But we have the only way of its update from Store. Its size is very large, so its download takes very long time. If failed, we have to start again from very beginning. In early times, we can download the ISO file of 8.1 without an 8.1 product key, but now it is very difficult. Why do they give us a DVD or something?

   Another complaint I have is the way of ‘Sign in’. I hate to use MS account to log in my PC. We can still use a local account when we log in our PC and can avoid MS account when we update to Windows8.1. But it is more difficult to find its steps. What does MS have in mind?

Edit:

   Every reboot gives me the Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs ver. 6.0.1.5506 disabled. I’ve tried re-installations several times, but I finally give it up. Now I use the High Definition Audio Device driver by MS. So I cannot use some of the device features, like stereo mix. I have no hope about it.

   I had a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I did “bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes” again. At this moment, I feel better of it and expect this is continuing.

Edit2(Jun.23):

   After my update to 8.1, I have a trouble with USB External Hard Drives which are unconnected from the PC very often. I change values about two of Power Options.

  1. About USB selective suspend setting —> Disabled.
    1. Control Panel
    2. System and Security
    3. Power Options
    4. Change Plan Settings
    5. Change advanced power settings
    6. USB Settings
      • USB selective suspend setting
        1. On battery —> Disabled
        2. Plugged in —> Disabled
      • Click Apply, then click OK.
  2. About Turn on fast startup (recommended) —> Uncheck.
    1. Control Panel
    2. System and Security
    3. Power Options
    4. Choose what the power button does
    5. Change settings that are currently unavailable
    6. Shutdown settings
      • Turn on fast startup (recommended) —> Uncheck
    7. Click Save changes
Edit3(Jul.7):

   The above customization did not work for me. I still had the same trouble.

   Yesterday, I found the page “Help! After installing Windows 8.1, my USB drive disappears or file transfers stop unexpectedly…“. The first half of the page told me I already did but the last half gave me new information. I tried and it is working well until now. See the page:
   To disable suspend on idle for this device:
     1. Obtain the hardware ID of the USB storage device.
     2. Change the device setting in the registry.

   By the way, the author added the note about 2014/4/8 Windows Update, but this reverting did not work for my USB HDD.

   Oh, I almost forgot to write. I wasn’t able to find VID-PID at Hardware Ids. They were showed up at Parent.

Edit4(Jul.24):

   After upgrading, I couldn’t watch WOWOW メンバーズオンデマンド. I had 6030. I installed and uninstalled Silverlight5 again and again. I deleted all things ( i.e. cache folder and mspr.hds) under ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady. But nothing useful. I thought really hard about why 6030 occurred. I doubted the MS basic display adapter driver. This gave the Generic Non-pnp monitor driver to NJ2100. Maybe Silverlight5 requires more than the Generic Non-pnp monitor for its DRM.
   I could not give up WOWOW メンバーズオンデマンド because I enjoyed it before upgrading. So I decided to install the SiS driver from R529_Logo.zip. But this driver probably gave me ‘0xC1900101 – 0×30018’ on my first attempt to upgrade. So, I made a full backup image before my act.
   Then I did install. Bingo!! I can watch WOWOW メンバーズオンデマンド now. And I have the 1440×900 resolution. Besides, I have no blue screen at this point. I hope this continues.

   Yesterday I installed the SiS driver from R529_Logo.zip. I was comfortable to use the NJ2100 last night, and I went to bed.
   Today I found a serious problem. When I turn on the PC, the mouse cursor has disappeared. It has never come back until I give up the SiS driver. This is a big trouble. Oops!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.